Do you have a hard time heating your baby’s milk at the perfect temperature? Or tired of hearing your baby screaming due to hunger and you cannot feed him/her quickly without heating the milk because they might get stomach problem? Then, a bottle warmer is there for your rescue! But you should be extremely careful in selecting the Best Bottle Warmer since it is your baby who would be using it.
Babies always need fresh and sterilized milk at the right temperature. You would always want your baby to be healthy and smiling. So a good bottle warmer is a necessity for every mom’s out there.
You may wonder how to select the best bottle warmer for your baby since there are many options available in the market, which may confuse you while selecting the best product. There is no need to panic since we are here to provide you a complete guide to choosing the best bottle warmer according to your requirements.
Having a bottle warmer not only simplifies your life, but also you get more time to spend with your baby rather than wasting unnecessary time heating and cooling down the milk. You may be thinking of heating the baby’s milk using Microwaves but health experts strongly recommend not using a microwave. The primary reason being it causes uneven heat distribution which can burn your baby’s mouth and it also reduces the nutritional value of the milk. Bottle warmers not only help to heat the milk quickly and easily at the right temperature but also keep the nutritional value of the milk intact.
Why you need a Bottle Warmer?
Some of you may think that why you need a bottle warmer, instead of milk can be warmed in other ways like putting it into warm water or a microwave to heat the milk. On a lighter note, the baby can give the best answer to that question but unfortunately can’t. Instead, we would give you a few reasons which would help you understand about the need of a bottle warmer. Some babies take their meal only if it’s in the right temperature. In that case, a bottle warmer can warm the milk evenly and quickly. Also, there are numerous reasons why a bottle warmer is needed such as Temperature consistency, convenience during travel, hygienic, ease of use and many more. For your convenience, we have given an exhaustive list of benefits. These would also give you clarity regarding the mandatory features to look for; safety concerns, if any, and ultimately helps you select the best bottle warmer for your baby.
- Temperature Consistency: Some babies need their milk or food at a particular temperature. If you conventionally warm the milk by keeping it in a bowl of hot water, they may not be evenly warm and the baby may not like it. So it is best to use a bottle warmer which can warm the milk to a required temperature and make your baby happy as well.
- Convenient to Carry: Bottle warmers are best used whenever you plan a short vacation with your baby. Since they are compact, portable, easy to carry and they do not take much space. They also come in different sizes and many types of jars and bottles can be used with the bottle warmers. Furthermore, there are special bottle warmers which are intended for use in travel.
- Hygienic to Use: Bottle warmers also contain an inbuilt sterilization technique. This will keep the harmful germs away and make the bottles sterilized.
- Easy to Use: Bottle warmers are easy to operate and safe for warming the milk. They do not have complicated operating procedures which make them user-friendly.
- Consistency: Another important point which you should be aware of is that baby bottles are not advised to directly heat in the microwave since it is not considered safe for your baby. So, it is better to use a sterilizer or a bottle warmer.
- Time efficient: You can set the temperature of a bottle warmer and take out when it’s done hence it saves your times. In case of manual heating, you need to regularly check the temperature and it’s time-consuming.
- Comes with Accessories: Bottle warmers also come with enough accessories such as nipples, pacifiers, measuring jars, etc., which would reduce your burden to buy these accessories separately.
- Help in Transitioning: Bottle warmers come with accessories which would help the baby transition from breastfeeding to bottle feeding. These accessories make sure the milk flows slowly and smoothly.
- Safe and Trusted: Bottle warmers are prescribed by many health institutes across countries, and also recommended by doctors so they are completely safe to use. In fact, few of the bottle warmer brands are used in hospitals as well.
- Economical: Many people may assume that these bottle warmers would be expensive. But you are wrong since they are completely cost effective and affordable. After all, you are spending towards a better tomorrow for your baby.
These are some of the basic benefits of having a bottle warmer for your baby. Aside from the benefits, it is easy to use and affordable too. Of course, it is your final decision to choose whether you have to buy the bottle warmer or not. But we strongly urge you to take a right decision and that would be buying the bottle warmer for your baby.
What are the difficulties you can face without a Bottle Warmer?
Being a parent is one of the happiest things for a couple, but at the same time it comes with an extra set of responsibilities. One among them is feeding the baby. The milk, which is the main meal of your baby during the initial months should be properly warmed and sterilized. You may face many difficulties if you plan not to use a bottle warmer for this purpose. You may have time wastage, problems during travelling, issues related to hygiene, temperature and consistency related issues. Below are some of the issues which you may face if you choose not to use a Bottle Warmer.
- Waste of Time: The primary difficulty that you may face if you don’t use a bottle warmer is a waste of time. You cannot predict when your baby will suddenly need a hot cup of milk. In that case, if you go for a traditional method of warming the milk, then it would take much longer and the baby will suffer which is not a good sight. But with bottle warmers, you can quickly warm your baby’s milk that too without any hassle.
- Difficulty during Travelling: the Second difficulty is in traveling phase. Even though you warm a cup of milk and leave from your home, it may not be necessarily warm when the baby needs it. But with a bottle warmer you can easily warm the milk on the go.
- Hygiene Issues: Another problem would be regarding the hygiene. If you use a container to warm the milk, you cannot be sure about its degree of sterility. So it may not be hygienic and good for your new born’s health. While a bottle warmer is completely hygienic to use.
- Temperature Problem: It is very difficult for you to manually decide the exact temperature at which the baby needs their milk. In this scenarios, bottle warmers can come in handy.
- Nutritional Value: Your baby should get food which is rich in nutritional value. A bottle warmer keeps the nutritional value of the milk intact. So if you decide not to use a Bottle Warmer then you may end up feeding your baby with food which is less in nutrition value.
- Uneven heating: Bottle warmers heat the milk evenly, which is good for your baby’s health and stomach. While uneven heating can be an issue with the conventional method of heating.
- Colic issues: You never know whether the bottles, which you are buying, are anti-colic or not. If they are not, they can cause many health issues such as the formation of gas in your baby’s tummy, stomach ache, etc. But the bottles provided by bottle warmers are anti-colic and your baby will not encounter such problems.
Top 3 Best Bottle Warmer Reviews
An extensive guide to select the best bottle warmer
Today, there are plenty of options available in the market for bottle warmers. They come in a variety of sizes and shapes. You must pick the correct brand to ensure satisfaction. Hence it can be very confusing to select the best bottle warmer for your baby.
To make your life easier, we are providing you with a short review of 3 of the best bottle warmers. The selected products are from the best brands available in the market such as Philips, Tommee Tippee and Dr. Brown’s.
We believe the bottle warmer reviews will be of some help for you to select the best bottle warmer for your lovely baby.
1. Philips AVENT Classic Plus Newborn Starter Set, Pink, and 3-in-1 Electric Steam Sterilizer
Philips is one of the most trusted brands in the electronics industry for a long time and this product from Philips is also one of the best. The above-given product primarily has two components – Philips AVENT Electric Sterilizer 3-in-1 with one pink colored Philips AVENT Classic plus newborn starter kit.
Features and Benefits
- Philips Sterilizer comes in a 3-in-1 modular design which helps you fit bottles and accessories in a flexible manner and organization is also easy. It is also very compact and hence takes minimal kitchen space.
- This bottle warmer uses natural steam sterilization technique. This technique is highly efficient, which can remove up to 99.99% germs and bacteria. Since it uses the natural steam sterilization technique, it does not remove the essential nutrients from the milk.
- It works just by pressing a single button which makes it extremely easy to operate.
- It has a clinically proven anti-colic valve which is to ensure that less air is maintained in the baby’s stomach and it also gives a comfortable feeding experience. This prevents gas formation in the baby’s tummy, burping and spit out.
- This sterilizer can sterilize the contents which can be used for 24 hours provided the lid of the sterilizer is kept closed.
- The cycle period is about 6 minutes and it has the automatic shutdown feature. Since it sterilizes the contents in just 6 minutes, it is a very quick process and you can make the feed ready for your baby in quick time. As it has the auto shutdown feature, it is safe to use.
- This bottle warmer can accommodate different types of bottles such as wide neck and narrow neck and also supports accessories of different brands.
- The bottles, which come with this bottle warmer are BPA free. Bisphenol A which is generally called BPA is a harmful toxic found in plastics. The bottles, which come with this bottle warmer are manufactured from high-quality material and are safe to use.
- It doesn’t fit all the bottles. Bottles from some brands do not fit in this bottle warmer.
- Another disadvantage is that it also does not dry the bottles.
- Since this an Electric steam sterilizer the cost maybe a little on the higher side.
This bottle warmer has got all the benefits which one can look in bottle warmers such as electric steam sterilization, auto shutdown, and BPA free components. Hence we believe this is one of the best bottle warmers available on the market.
2. Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Complete Starter Gift Set
Tommee Tippee is the UK’s number 1 feeding brand and the fastest growing brand in the USA. The closer to nature bottles is the best for the babies. This is one of the best product which comes with sufficient accessories.
Features and Benefits
- This microwave sterilizer is light and easy to load. It has a compact design which makes it ideal for home as well as travel.
- This sterilizer can hold up to 4 closer to nature bottles in an easy loading basket.
- The sterilization time is quick between 4 to 8 minutes, which is dependent on the wattage of your microwave.
- The closer nature bottles are BPA and phthalate free which makes your baby’s food free from harmful chemicals.
- This sterilizer can keep the contents sterile as long as the lid is kept unopened.
- This sterilizer uses natural steam to kill the germs and bacteria and is easy to use in the microwave and it is dishwasher safe too.
- Closer to nature sterilizer lids can be also used as a sterile work surface which can best be used for feed preparation. This secure lid also prevents any accidents.
- The closer to nature bottles is anti-colic, safe, easy to use and effective against colic.
- This product is a good value for money and is relatively cheaper since it belongs to the Microwave category.
- The Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Microwave Sterilizer supports only wide neck or closer to nature bottles.
It is one of the best bottle warmer with a sterilizer, to sterilize the bottles and comes with enough accessories; this can be selected for the better feeding of your baby.
3. Dr. Brown’s BPA Free 8 Oz 3 Pack Bottles – Pink with Bottle Warmer
Dr. Brown is a trusted and popular name in baby care products. This bottle warmer from Dr. Brown’s is one of the simplest bottle warmers available in the market. But it’s loaded with some really good features. It usually comes with a set of Dr. Brown’s bottles.
Features and Advantages
- Dr. Brown’s bottle warmer has a sleek design and is portable as well. Along with portability this bottle warmer is durable and gives an efficient performance.
- This bottle warmer can warm Bottles as well as jars as it is having enough space to accommodate various bottles of different sizes.
- The bottles provided with this bottle warmer are BPA and phthalate free. They also do not contain lead or PVC.
- The bottles feature an internal vent system which helps to preserve the essential vitamins. This is done by minimizing the oxidation of milk.
- These bottles also provide positive-pressure vacuum free feeding and help to reduce spit-up, burping, colic, and gas by eliminating negative pressure and air bubbles.
- This bottle warmer comes with an LCD Control Panel to display the temperature, which is easy to read and operate.
- Memory enabled product which helps you to save the required cycle setting for later use. This is called Cycle memory. The heat settings can also be adjusted to various sizes of bottles.
- Notification on completion of the warming cycle by an audible beep and it also lights up.
- The water reservoir is refillable and can warm many bottles prior to refilling.
- The device can become hot which is not preferred by some users.
- This product should be cleaned regularly in order to build residual matter.
Dr. Brown’s is a durable and portable bottle warmer with features such as cycle memory and audible beep upon completion. Those who want a sleek bottle and are comfortable with handling hot bottles can go for this product. See what people are saying about this product.
What is Bottle Warmer?
Bottle warmer is a device which is used to heat and sterilize the milk to a required temperature so that your baby gets warm and germ-free milk every time.
Though conventional warming methods for milk can be used, bottle warmers are best preferred in today’s time. They are economical, easy to use, and easy to clean, come with a proper instruction manual, has necessary accessories, inbuilt sterilization techniques which ensure your baby germ-free milk all the time. So a bottle warmer is preferred over conventional warming methods.
Apart from warming the formula or milk, bottle warmers can also be used to warm the breast milk. Warming the breast milk though needs extra precautions which you should follow so that you should not ruin the Liquid Gold which is often the term used for Breast Milk.
Bottle warmers are widely categorized into three different types:
- Electric Steam Sterilizers
- Microwave Steam Sterilizers
- Cold Water Sterilizer
Electric Steam Sterilizers
These are simple and easy to use sterilizers in which you fill the water in the bottles and keep in the bottle warmer. These sterilizers usually take 6 minutes to complete the sterilization process. Once the process completes, they sound an alarm and shut down automatically.
The advantages of these sterilizers are ease of use, efficient in killing germs fast. Disadvantages are being a little on the expensive side, the inside unit can be too hot and need for regular descaling.
Microwave Steam Sterilizers
These sterilizers require the bottles to be kept in the sterilizer unit with a small amount of water. This entire unit is placed in the microwave. The main precaution which should be taken is to tightly fasten the lids. In this method, sterilization takes around 10 minutes to complete.
The advantages of this method are it is convenient to use and you can make use of your existing microwave, saves space and relatively cheap. Disadvantages being some sterilizers fit only 4 bottles and it may be a case that the sterilizer is too big for your microwave.
Cold Water Sterilizer
This method uses a special liquid that is mixed with cold water and added to the sterilizer’s tank. The bottles are completely immersed in that solution. This process takes about 30 minutes to complete. Once completed, the bottles need to be rinsed in hot boiling water. It is the least effective of the three methods. Advantages of this method being there are no burning risks and no need for electricity. Few disadvantages are that the solution needs to be changed every 24 hours and slower than the other two methods.
Apart from the above-mentioned types of bottle warmers and sterilizers, there is one more special bottle warmer which is designed keeping in mind the travel purpose. You cannot expect a gas stove or even microwave oven when are you out on the road. Hence it is best advised to have a bottle warmer which can either consume the battery power of your car to warm or even there are self-heating bottle warmers which run on batteries.
They are also compact and hence do not occupy much space. This would ease your worries about getting warm milk for your baby and you can travel joyfully.
Furthermore, Bottle warmers should only sterilize the harmful germs, but not the useful nutrients which are very essential for the baby’s health. They should be easy to use so that anybody can use it when there is urgency and feed your baby.
How to use a Bottle Warmer?
General Usage Tips
However, simple may be the device, few usage tips and guidelines should be followed. Below we provide some mandatory and essential usage guidelines which will be helpful for you to use the Bottle warmers and sterilizers.
Read Usage Manual
First and foremost usage tip is to read the instruction or user manual given with the product. Whether you have used the bottle warmer earlier or you are a first time user, it is mandatory to go through the instruction manual.
Placement of Sterilizer
The Sterilizer should usually be kept in a dry and flat place before use.
The contents which are used in the bottle warmers or sterilizers such as nipples, bottles, lids etc. should be cleaned beforehand. This cleaning is necessary to ensure any residues of the milk when it was previously used.
Unplug Before Use
The power cord should not be plugged into the electric source before use.
Once all the safety checks are performed such as the lid of the sterilizer is tightly fastened then only you should connect the power cord of the device to the electrical outlet.
Don’t set the temperature levels too high.
You should also be aware that some bottle warmers have an inbuilt memory to save the previous settings. This is to ensure quick warming. Suppose you are fine with that setting then you can start the sterilization process else there is an option to increase or decrease the time and you can do so.
The instructions which are given for quantities should be strictly followed, such as filling the bottles with the exact quantity which they have mentioned. They should never be filled with extra quantities. This may lead to spillage which can spoil the device.
Completion of Sterilization
The ideal time for the sterilization process to complete is 6 to 10 minutes. The bottle warmer will alert you once the warming is done by an audible sound and it shuts down automatically.
Removal of Contents
Once it completes, you should not rush and immediately take out the contents from the sterilizer. Instead, you should wait for a couple of minutes. The ideal time for the sterilizer to cool down is 3 minutes.
Some sterilizers keep the contents sterile for 6 hours if sterilized for a shorter time else the normal duration is 24 hours. The contents would be sterile unless the lid is not removed.
When you take out the contents from the sterilizer, you should follow precautionary measures since the contents will be hot. For smaller items, it is better to use tongs.
Test of Warmness
Once are you done with removing the contents from the sterilizer, an important point to remember is that you should not directly give the milk or food from the bottle or jar to the baby. Instead, take a spoonful of milk and test yourself. If you feel it is warm enough for your baby, then you can feed it else wait for a few minutes to cool.
Check for any residual contents and remove if any, from the sterilizer.
Handle With Care
Finally, don’t let kids or people handle it who don’t know how to use the bottle warmers. Since it may be hot and they would be at a risk of injuring themselves.
You should clean the bottle warmer on a regular basis to ensure smooth and safe operation.
These are few of the general usage guidelines to be followed when using a bottle warmer, which would be the same irrespective of any brand. It is also mandatory to go through the instruction manual to avoid any kind of hazards. One more essential point which you have to keep in mind is a proper check of the power outlets. It is better to have them verified by an authentic electrician to prevent any electrical hazards.
How to Clean a Bottle Warmer?
Cleanliness is an important aspect and you should be extremely careful about cleanliness whenever you are handling any products or items which are related to your baby. The same applies to bottle warmers or sterilizers as well. They are meant to clean and sterilize the bottles, jars, and dishes used to feed the babies. Hence their cleanliness is also of utmost priority.
The bottle warmers should be cleaned on a regular basis without fail and you cannot be lethargic towards that responsibility. We would provide you a few useful guidelines and tips which are essential to clean the bottle warmers. Before that let us explain in brief about the need of cleaning the sterilizer.
Cleaning the sterilizer or Descaling is a process in which the sterilizer is cleaned to get rid of the limescale.
Limescale is a powdery chalk like substance which is left on the heating plate when the water evaporates but the minerals contained in the water do not. If this limescale deposit is allowed to accumulate on the heating plate it will slow the healing process and it will reduce the efficiency of the sterilizer. Hence the sterilizer should be descaled at least every 1-2 weeks. This will ensure that the sterilizer is working effectively.
Before advising on how to clean the sterilizers we would list a few advantages of cleaning the sterilizers and what would be the problems if you don’t clean the sterilizers regularly.
- Periodic or regular cleaning does not amount to the deposition of residual matter.
- Cleaning regularly keeps the device effective and it can be used for a longer duration of time.
- The sterilizer will always be free from harmful germs and bacteria.
- If you do not regularly clean the sterilizer, limescale will be deposited which can reduce the efficiency of the sterilizer.
- Limescale deposition also may lead to more power consumption.
Below are the few precautions and steps to be taken while cleaning the sterilizers.
- Unplug from Power: The device should be unplugged from the power source before starting any cleaning process.
- Removal of components: The water reservoir should be removed and all the water in it should be emptied.
- Non-Compatible Cleaning products: Abrasives or solvents should not be used for cleaning purposes.
- Rinsing: The parts should be rinsed in water, but not under a tap.
Steps to clean
- Measurement: Pour approximately 80 ml of white vinegar and 20 ml of water in the water reservoir. This should be kept aside till the limescale has been dissolved.
- Cleaning process: Then remove the water reservoir and empty it. Rinse the heating plate with clear water and wipe the plate with a damp cloth or a sponge.
- Repetition: Repeat this process whenever you feel the content of limescale has increased considerably.
- Advanced cleaning: In case of severe deposition of limescale, citric acid or any other descaling agents can be used.
Finally, we would now list a few FAQs which are generally associated with bottle warmers and sterilizers and provide suitable answers to them.
Question 1: Is there a difference between Electric Sterilizer and Microwave Sterilizer?
Answer: Yes. In case of an electric sterilizer, the sterilizer itself generates the steam from electricity and sterilizes whereas, in case of microwave sterilizer, the sterilizer should be heated in a Microwave.
Question 2: Is bottle warmer necessary?
Answer: Yes. It is extremely important to keep the bottles sterilized and for that bottle, warmer is the best solution since it takes less time to warm, is easy to use and takes less space.
Question 3: Is bottle warmer safe?
Answer: Yes. But the bottle warmer or the sterilizer should be used according to the proper instructions, should be periodically cleaned and well maintained.
Question 4: What is BPA and is it harmful?
Answer: BPA is nothing but a kind of plastic and it stands for Bisphenol A. Yes, it can be harmful to babies and the baby bottles are usually BPA free.
Question 5: Can Bottle warmers be used during travel?
Answer: Yes. In fact, there are special bottle warmers which are used solely for travel purposes which run on a battery can do not require any external sources of heat.
Question 6: Do these bottle warmers prevent colic?
Answer: Yes. Almost all of them have an inbuilt anti-colic system which will prevent the colic. It also prevents gas formation in baby’s tummy, avoids spit-up and burping.
Question 7: What is the duration till which the contents would remain sterile?
Answer: Usually if the lid is closed, the contents will remain sterile for 24 hours.
Question 8: Can breast milk be used in Bottle Warmers?
Answer: Yes, but extra care should be taken when using breast milk.
Question 9: Is cleaning the bottle warmer easy?
Answer: Yes. It is easy to clean the bottle warmer.
Question 10: What is the duration of the sterilization process?
Answer: Sterilization ideally takes 6 minutes of time and the entire process can take up to 10 minutes.
Question 11: Can bottles of different brands be used with a particular bottle warmer brand?
Answer: Yes. Usually, the bottles come in specifics sizes and shapes and hence they can be used interchangeably with other brands as well.
Question 12: Does the bottle warmer automatically turn off after sterilization?
Answer: Yes. Usually, all the sterilizers automatically turn off after use. This saves the consumption of power as well as prevent the bottles from overheating.
Question 13: What are the different types of bottle warmers?
Answer: Bottle warmers can be broadly classified into 3 categories which are Electric, Microwave, and Cold wave sterilizers.
A bottle warmer is a revolutionary product that warms the milk safely and quickly without destroying its nutritional values that baby’s need. So we have tried to give detailed information about bottle warmers with reviews to help you select the best bottle warmer for your little one. There are a few important things that you should take care of while buying the bottle warmers like the warming time, auto shutdown feature is available or no and completion indication. Regarding the bottles, they should be free from BPA, phthalate, PVC and any kind of harmful chemicals which could be harmful to the baby.
You can be a first time user or you would be having a prior experience, we recommend you to go through the instruction manual before use. We would like to emphasize the point that bottle warmers are the best products which you can buy for your baby. They ensure good health, hygiene, and better feeding techniques. Last but not the least, we hope you select the best bottle warmer for your baby and this is a small service from our side to guide you on the right path.